Suggested Holding Periods for Tax Records:
1. It is a good policy to save copies of your 1040 and supporting schedules indefinitely.
2. The IRS requires record retention as long as they are important for Federal Tax law. Generally this means:
* 3 years from the date the return is filed...or
* 2 years from the tax payment date...or
* 6 years, if income is under-reported by more than 25%
(whichever is later)
3. Keep ALL--bank statements, checks, receipts and other financial records for at least three years, especially those documents that will support your tax return figures.
4. HOLD INDEFINITELY
* All papers and receipts that deal with any purchase, sale and major improvement of your current and all previous principal residences.
* All IRA records, investment purchases and sales, and 1040 returns filed for each year.
This Web site is made available as a service to our clients and others for informational purposes only. These materials and information should not be considered as, or a substitute for, accounting, tax or financial advice. While it is hoped the materials provided here are helpful as background material, it is not warranted either expressly or implied as accurate or complete. You should refrain in taking any action based upon the information provided here until you have received proper counsel.
In addition, you understand that any links to any other web site or services does not constitute endorsement of or warranty of any service, product or information provided on their site(s). These links are provided for convenience only.
While our intent is to make transmissions to and from this web site secure, it is understood that no warranty of security can be made and that unforeseen security breaches by "hackers" is a possibility, however slight.
Reproduction of part or all of the contents on this site in any form is prohibited other than for individual use only and it may not be shared with any third party. All content on this site is copyright protected and/or trademarked as appropriate and may not be copied, duplicated or altered in any way.
Copyright 2000. All Rights Reserved.